Drywall is a popular construction material for both walls and ceilings. It is a favorite for many homeowners due to its durability and ease of installing. According to the Grand View Research survey, the U.S gypsum board market is estimated to be worth $12.96 billion. Continue reading to find out more about getting your drywall repaired.
Common Causes of Drywall Damage
Drywall is mostly made up of gypsum, hence the name “gypsum board.” Other components include paper, resin, and silica. It can sustain damage in different ways. Here are some common causes of drywall damage:
- Leaking roofs and windows can expose your drywall to water.
- Direct impact can cause scratches or even poke holes.
- Termites can eat through most things, including drywall.
- Faulty installation can cause malfunction.
Drywall Patching Process
- The first step is cleaning the damaged area. It removes any loose debris still in the hole. The edges of the dent are then beveled using a knife.
- After wiping off any extra debris with a damp cloth, the gap is filled with spackle or joint compound.
- The filler is then smeared to make it flush with the rest of the surface.
- Once the filling is dry, the area is sanded, and another coat is applied. However, medium holes require a metal patch and larger holes need a patch made of drywall.
- A square piece of drywall that is a little larger than the hole is cut.
- Next, the patch is used to outline the spot, and a square hole is made. This step requires caution as it may interfere with plumbing or electrical lines in the wall.
- With the new hole now the same size and shape as the drywall patch, it is ready for repair. Two wooden boards are screwed behind the drywall to prevent the patch from falling through. The square cut out is then screwed on two wooden boards.
- Next, the joint compound is applied to cover the patch. This is followed by sanding once it dries. The process is repeated until the patch is no longer visible.
Texturing and Color Matching Process
The final step is painting over the patch and retexturing it. It requires a trained eye and the right tools to match the color and texture of the drywall. Color matching begins with analyzing the original paint color and tone.
The patch is then primed and painted to match the wall. The texture is then matched using the same drywall mud that was used initially. The pattern is inspected and replicated with tools, such as a sprayer, paint roller, or a slap brush.
Benefits of Drywall Repair
Despite its durability, drywall is not immune to wear and tear. Whenever it’s damaged, it should be repaired as soon as possible. Here are the benefits of drywall repair.
- Longevity – Repairing the drywall as soon as you spot damage protects the walls or ceiling from further damage. As a result, the life span of the drywall is extended.
- Protection against the element – Damages either in the ceiling or wall expose you to the elements, such as rain, snow, or wind. Sealing up any hole in the drywall ensures you and your belongings are protected.
- Improved appearance – A hole in the wall or a dark spot in the ceiling ruins your home’s appearance. Repairing the damage makes your home look newer and more appealing.
- Boost home value – If you are thinking of putting your home in the market, repairing your drywall is the right way to attract a better offer. Appearance is everything when selling a home.
Why Choose Prestigious Painting for Drywall Repair
As you can see, the larger the hole, the more complicated the process. We highly recommend letting a professional do the repairs. It can get dangerous, especially when dealing with electricity.
Prestigious Painting has been serving customers in Kitsap County and the surrounding area for years. We use this experience to get the job done in the shortest time possible at the lowest cost possible.
In addition to charging affordable rates, we will also avoid costly mistakes. At Prestigious Painting, we offer a warranty for all our services. We are confident nothing will go wrong, but the warranty will give you peace of mind should you need our services again.
Contact us today and get your drywall repaired by a true professional. Alternatively, you can request an estimate. Our customer service will guide from there.